Submitted by: Heron Hanuman, Vancouver/Victoria
- 1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin oil, divided
- 1 pound small italian eggplants, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound zucchini, cut crosswise into 1-inch sections
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely minced
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Leaves from 1/2 bunch fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- Leaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 dried chili pepper
- Splash balsamic vinegar
Line a large platter with paper towels.
Heat 1/3 cup olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the eggplant, season generously with salt and pepper, and let that cook down for 10 to 12 minutes, until the eggplant is soft and wilted.
Remove the eggplant from the pan and onto a platter to drain. Next stop, zucchini: cook it the same way in 1/4 cup oil, then add it to the platter with the eggplant.
Add another 1/4 cup olive oil to the pan, then the anchovies, onions, garlic and herbs. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the onions get nice and caramelized. Add the tomatoes and cook that down for 10 to 12 minutes, until pulpy.
Return the eggplant and zucchini to the pan, crack open the chili pepper, and add that too.
Season with salt and pepper and let the ratatouille cook slowly for about 20 minutes, until the mixture is soft, mushy and juicy; you want all the flavors to come together.
Stir in the vinegar and let cool to room temperature.
Prep Time20 min
Cook Time45 min
Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence