Submitted by: Mélisande Bodiguel, Montreal
“The gingerbread from my childhood, flavoured with cinnamon, filling the house with the fragrance of Christmas.”
- 6 Juicy apples (Gala, Fuji or Ginger Gold)
- 2 tbsp(s) Brown sugar
- 3 tbsp(s) Soft unsalted butter
- Crumbled Gingerbread
- Pinch Ground cinnamon
- Core the apples using an apple corer.
- Score the apple skin horizontally around the middle, so they do not burst in the oven.
- Place the apples in a baking dish.
- Stuff the apples with crumbled gingerbread.
- Moisten the apples with a little water and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Dot the apples with butter.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the apples.
- Pierce with a skewer to test if they are soft.
- When the brown sugar has dissolved and the gingerbread is soft, remove from the oven and serve.
- For even more flavour, sprinkle with a light dusting of cinnamon before serving.
A mother-daughter effort: my mom’s cinnamon baked apple recipe, to which I added the gingerbread.