Submitted by: Yvan Loubier, Quebec
“Fifteen years of patient experimentation to achieve perfection, and many disappointments with mussels ordered at restaurants.”
- 5 lb(s) Mussels
- 1 Large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 Bunches fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp(s) Each paprika, turmeric and thyme
- 20 to 30 cup(s) Chicken broth
- 2 cup(s) 15% or 35% cream
- To taste Curry powder (if you like it hot, use Madras curry)
Heat the olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onion. Gradually add the chicken broth and the spices. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and add the mussels. When they start to open, add part of the curry and cream and stir gently. Add the fresh coriander and stir gently. After 3 minutes, adjust the curry seasoning to taste and stir gently. As soon as the mussels are fully opened, turn off the heat and serve. Try one or two to see if they are done. Serve with homemade fries cooked in duck fat. The leftover broth can be used to make a delicious fish or seafood soup.
Prep Time20 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
A lengthy process of trial and error ultimately leading to success.