Submitted by: Fiona Marshall, Halifax
“This is a great way to use up all those candy canes you never know what to do with! And these aren't meant to look perfect, so it's fun to smash up all the ingredients! ”
- 3/4 cup(s) chopped white chocolate (about 100g worth)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) pretzel sticks (not the round ones)
- 1/2 cup(s) dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup(s) candy cane pieces (cut/break them as small as you like)
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl (note: white chocolate melts & burns quickly, so only microwave for about 5 seconds at a time; once the chocolate is soft, you can simply stir it around).
- Break up those pretzel sticks! You can put them in a bowl and break the pieces by hand, or put them in a plastic baggie and smash them on the counter! The idea is for the pieces to be about 1/2-3/4 inches long.
- Stir the melted chocolate and pretzels together, then add in the dried cranberries and candy cane pieces.
- Line your baking sheet with wax paper or parchment, and then scoop dollops of the mixture onto the paper.
- For an extra festive touch, top each dollop off with an additional piece of candy cane.
- Refrigerate until firm.
Note: A little white chocolate goes a long way! This recipe is very sweet, so if you prefer more crunch and saltiness, add another 1/2 cup of pretzels. You can also add chopped nuts. A dollop is all you need though - these little clusters pack a flavourful punch!
The original recipe came from a magazine - likely Chatelaine or Canadian Living - but has been adjusted over the years to suit my family's preferences for sweet-salty ratios!