Submitted by: Allison Pothier, Halifax
“This is a Pothier family tradition - served every Christmas morning! It just tastes like Christmas. ”
- 4 tbsp(s) Unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup(s) Firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 Loaf brioche or challah bread (can also use baguette)
- 8 Large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup(s) Whole milk
- 1/2 tsp(s) Pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp(s) Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp(s) Ground ginger
- Pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup(s) Chopped pecans
Combine the melted butter and brown sugar in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Arrange the bread slices in the dish. (It’s fine if they overlap.)
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Pour the mixture over the bread, and let it soak in.
Top the bread slices evenly with the pecans.
Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 to 12 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In the meantime, take the casserole out of the refrigerator, and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Bake the casserole until it’s browned and set, 30 to 45 minutes. Let it cool slightly on a wire rack. Sift confectioners’ sugar over the casserole, and serve it with sorghum, cane, or maple sugar.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins